On to happier news, I am working on a nice comfy summer dress. I'm not going to say too much about it now, for if I do, I might never finish. However, I did want to share a tip for all the beginners out there, like me, on how to "stitch in the ditch".
My stitch-in-the-ditch sewing has been how do we say, well, UGLY! I used to just pin the facing and then pray to whoever was listening that when I stitched from the front side that the back side would get caught under the needle. Half the time, I was successful, the other half of the time involved pouty lips, a seam ripper, and a strong drink. It would honestly take me 10 tries to even get 90% of the back side caught under the front. The other 10% I would just wave it all away and pretend it looked nice. Well, no more! I'm sure this is obvious to everyone, but maybe, if there is someone out there like me who laments the thought of having to "stitch in the ditch". Here is how to make your results come out nicely each and every time.
Pin the facing to the back. Be generous with your use of pins. I used a contrasting thread so that it would be easier to pull out once the stitch-in-the-ditch stitching is done.
Slip stitch the back facing to the main body fabric. Make sure to catch the body fabric a little bit under the ditch line.3.
Turn the project over and "Stitch in the ditch" from the front side!
Ta da! You're done!
Sorry for the black fabric. I know it can be hard to see. I tried overexposing all the pictures a bit to show more contrast. If you know of a nicer way, please let me know. I'm always up for improving my sewing.