It feels like just yesterday that I reminded myself of how much I really like sew-blogging. And yet, almost a month has gone by without so much as a peep out of me. Well, peep, peep, PEEP.
Although the blogging mojo seems to have temporarily disappeared, again, I have been sewing. I bought some lovely fabric from Elliott Berman during their Memorial Day sale and when I got it I knew immediately what I wanted to do with it. You see, last weekend, I had a graduation to attend, mine. Not quite as big a deal as it was from undergrad since I still do have to finish this little thing called a thesis, but it still feels like a major accomplishment. Graduation was on Saturday and I received the fabric on Wednesday. I told B that I was going to sew it up in one day and his reply was, "Are you sure? Doesn't it take you a year to finish something?" Ha, I showed him by finishing this baby up in two days!
The pattern is Burda 05-2009 #117. I cut a size 38 on top and graded to a size 40 in the hips. I know some found that the dress ran small but for me it seemed pretty true to size. I shortened the length significantly and removed the side slits because I ran out of time. The fabric was a bit thin so I used a black rayon from a free Fabric Mart bundle as an underlining. This allowed me to omit the facings (that I really dislike).
(Side View) *I've noticed that lots of dresses have this problem where the upper back extends away from my body. I'm pretty sure this is a fitting issue I need to work out.
(Gusset View) The first time I tried this gusset out in muslin it turned out a total mess. The trickiest part of the dress is the underarm gusset but I followed the directions from The Art of Manipulating Fabric and the results turned out great. After, while searching for links for this post I found another great tutorial that looks very similar to the steps I used here.