8.10.2011

Unintentional Knockoff

Pardon my asian glow I partook in the imbibing of uh, hmm, a *little* alcohol before I got around to taking this picture.

In one night of sheer project-runway-i-got-nothing-to-wear-to-the-wedding-make-it-work adrenaline, I made this little number.


burdayeasy_oneshoulder


And I loved it. I really liked that I finally used up this pretty goldenrod silk twill that had been sitting in my stash since forever. I liked the black velvet belt. I liked the exposed zipper (sorry, no good shot of it). I liked how everyone complimented me on my dress. And, then, someone asked me if it was Lanvin for H&M.

lanvin

When I got back to the hotel room, I googled the dress and suddenly I got very critical of my dress. All I could think of was how awesome the Lanvin for H&M dress looked. In contrast my ruffle looks way too small. Suddenly, I could see the twisting in my bodice that really could have benefited from the use of boning. I began to wish that I had chosen my proportions differently. Basically, it became one big sewing pity party.

Now, a few weeks later. I've mellowed out. I can still see all the things that need improvement and will definitely incorporate these things into my bag of tricks next time around. At the same time, I am warming up to the initial feelings I had about the dress. Has this over critical analysis of your sewing ever happened to you?

Dress details...
Pattern: Started w/ Burda Easy 2011 One-shoulder dress, made it more fitted and added the flounce.
Fabric: 2 yards of silk twill. Two yards of tan lining fabric from Fabric Mart.
Cost: $7/yard for silk. $0/yard for lining (free bundle). $1.70 for zipper. ~$16
Sewing: One shoulder dresses could use some boning for support. The back waist on the dress needs to be taken up an inch or so.



6 comments:

Gail said...

Don't sweat too much about making comparisons. Your dress looked great and is really 'on trend' with the cage booties. I find the size of the ruffles in the Lavin version a little overwhelming on anyone with a bust (look closely and you'll see that the model doesn't).

Dana said...

I like your version much better - it shows some individualism!

Rachel said...

Honestly, I like your dress bettern than the Lanvin. The Lanvin ruffle is a bit exaggerated and yours is just perfect.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I am glad to hear the magic closet is mellowing you out. I think your dress looks great! You wouldn't want to exactly copy the Lanvin, this one is all yours!

Christina said...

I love how your dress turned out! The ruffle was a great addition. Lanvin Schmanvin :)

Carolyn said...

Your dress is wonderful, and I'm sure the Lanvin comment was meant for a compliment! I'm always enormously chuffed if somebody takes something I've made as shop-bought, and feel mildly like a failure if someone picks that I made it... but like you, I come to appreciate my own creations more with time.
Your ruffle is perfectly proportioned imo, and I love the colour you have chosen too, so warm and flattering.